Worth Growing: Chantilly Snapdragons

Wednesday, June 18, 2014

I have made plenty of mistakes with these plants, partially because they are earlier than most everything else, but also because I don't have much experience growing snapdragons in general.  But these tough beauties have thrived in spite of me, producing second and even third flushes of show-stopping flowers.  I have fallen in love with the open-faced snapdragon and I would certainly plant them again.

We purchased a color mix of seed from Osborne Seeds and I especially love the peach, orange and pink blooms.  They are visually stunning flowers; intriguing people with their unfamiliar shape and delighting them with their bold, trendy colors.  The peach and orange especially have the most beautiful ombre fade as they bloom.  They really make a statement just by themselves.

Ideally, next year I would be more prepared and get at least some of the crop in early with row covers.  I am ashamed to admit that they didn't even get support netting either which resulted in many wasted stems from wind damage, so next year support is a must.  Snapdragons display very obvious geotropism, which refers to the way their growing tips always point up in response to gravity.  It can make for some crazy crooked stems when they fall over.  It is also very entertaining to watch when you bring them inside in a vase.   

I had no problem getting long stems, but I am sure an experienced grower could get even longer stems easily.  I think the open-faced Chantilly snapdragons are a great flower that is worth growing for market but also just home enjoyment.  I remember a seeing garden plan once that included several rows of cutting flowers in alongside the veggies and these would be an ideal flower to incorporate into the garden to give some food for the eyes on your table as well.

5 comments

  1. Wow, your flowers are amazing! I can only hope to have the garden you have! BTW, what kind of camera do you use to take such awesome photos???? (found you through the NW seed share forum)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jessie! You are the one who has buffalo, right? Which I am jealous of, so we are even. :) Thanks for the complement on my photos! I use an older Canon Rebel DSLR with a 50mm lens, but it has taken me 5 years of practice to get photos of this quality. If you want more specifics you can send me an email.

      Delete
  2. I like this post...well said, sister!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I am the one with the buffalo! =D Okay, we are even...hah! Love your photos and totally understand that is only partially the camera and the magic happens with the person behind the camera. You are quite talented!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your kind words---I wasn't trying to brag on my talent as much as encourage you if you are just starting that it takes practice and experience, so don't give up if at first your photos don't look how you would like. Experimentation is as much a rule in photography as in gardening and farming. I wrote about my favorite garden photography book here: http://rabbitsandradishes.blogspot.com/2013/04/book-review-art-of-flower-and-garden.html

      Delete

GO TO TOP