Book Review: The Flower Recipe Book

Friday, December 20, 2013

The first thing to note about The Flower Recipe Book by Alethea Harampolis and Jill Rizzo of Studio Choo is that it is full of stunningly beautiful photos of flowers.  If you took all of the instructional information out, this would still be a book worth reading.  With great photos and detailed instruction combined it is an easy winner.

The authors take a single flower such as cosmos or dahlias and first give a "Recipe 1: On its own." Just like it sounds, the first arrangement features the flowers displayed in a vase or other container by themselves.  Next is "Recipe 2: With company" showing the featured flower with other supporting flowers and fillers that unite to create a pleasing, full bodied arrangement. This second recipe is often broken down with photos for every step, but at the very least you get an exact ingredients list and a text step by step.  Some flowers have a bonus "Recipe 3: Special occasion."   These special occasion recipes are gorgeous full-blown affairs, easily pictured as a centerpiece for an event or wedding.

This book shines the spotlight on 43 different flowers and details instructions for 100 different arrangements.  I also appreciated the varied vessels used to display the flowers.  If this doesn't jump start your creativity, I don't know what will! 

I first saw this book late last spring and it inspired me to make an effort to bring flowers into the house and arrange them just for my own pleasure.  I was also practicing and experimenting with what looked well and what lasted longest.  I wanted to be able to pull together a finished looking bouquet as an easy hostess or thinking of you gift.  I am excited to include more flowers for cutting in my garden next year. 
  
Note: My book review posts are all books I have checked out from the library unless otherwise noted.



2 comments

GO TO TOP