2013 Cherry Tomato Varieties

Monday, December 2, 2013


The Sungold Cherry Tomato is and always will be my favorite tomato, first to ripen and ripening until frost it is the hardest working tomato of them all.  The flavor is bright and sweet.  It is the first tomato I learned to like, so I call it a gateway tomato.

I tried two types of red cherries this year: Sun Cherry and Super Sweet 100.  I honestly couldn't tell any major difference between the two.  Both were loaded most of the year, but with some tendency to sunburn in the most direct sunlight.  I couldn't tell in difference in flavor either.

This is Isis Candy which was a bit bigger and thicker skinned than the other cherry tomatoes,  I would not grow it again because the plants were much more leafy and hard to tame and the fruit color was not what I wanted it to be.  Ironically the shaded tomatoes seemed to get the most red.  Overall it just wasn't consistent enough to sell at the Farmer's Market.

I didn't keep perfect records, but I think I harvested over 200 pounds of cherry tomatoes from my garden this year!





No comments

Post a Comment

GO TO TOP