Grow Write Guild : The Landscape of Home

Wednesday, June 12, 2013



A portion of our land is an un-farmable hillside.  This scrubby sagebrush landscape may not look like much at first glance, but that is part of its charm.  My favorite time is when the dasiy-like yellow flowers bloom in spring, but if you look carefully, there are always beautiful wildflowers tucked in among the different kids of sage brush.  There was a similar hillside behind my parents house and we spent many summer days exploring and searching for bunnies.


These last two photos were actually flowers I had never seen before.  That is what I love about having some "wild space."  You can go exploring without ever leaving home and you never know what you might find.


 Our cows graze the hillside in the summer and their coats get all nice and shiny because of the high oil content of the cheat grass that grows all over.

 This post is written in response to the writing prompt found here by You Grow Girl as part of the Grow Write Guild.

6 comments

  1. This is lovely! It almost seems that the purpose of that un-farmable hillside is to force you to appreciate the land, and you seem to to that thoroughly already

    ReplyDelete
  2. What really strikes me is the colours. I find it amazing that all our different parts of the world have such different pallets. The flowers just add icing to the cake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I especially love the contrast in the last photo, with the brown and sage hillside and the green farm land in the background.

      Delete
  3. What a great area to live! So wonderful to have the wide open spaces.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I am very blessed, and I try to make time to just enjoy it.

      Delete

GO TO TOP