Saturday, June 22, 2013

Grow Write Guild: Cupid's Dart in Bloom

This lovely little flower is called Cupid's Dart or Catanache caerulea if you are using the Latin name.  The variety I have is Alba which is white instead of the common pale purple. 
Last spring my sister bought some seed packets, one of which was this packet, and gave them to me to grow for her.  I had never heard of or seen this plant before but I planted the seeds with all the rest of them and didn't really give it much thought.

I planted six plants out in one of the flower beds, but they didn't bloom the first year, instead forming a slightly bluish green rosette of leaves which reminded me a bit of a dandelion.  I was pleasantly surprised when they took off this spring, sending up the most beautiful flower buds.

Both the buds and the flowers are excellent in cut arrangements and they look lovely in the flower bed, especially when back lit.  They sway in the slightest breeze and spill between the other plants.

 Now that I have found these easy beauties, I want to add a bunch more to my garden.  In a quick Google search I discovered they are native to the Mediterranean which explains their drought tolerance.  Their name supposedly comes from their use by the ancient Greeks as an ingredient in a love potion.  See more here.

This post is written in response to the writing prompt found here by You Grow Girl as part of the Grow Write Guild.

2 comments:

  1. They remind me of bachelor buttons. I like the touch of purple at the base.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They remind me of bachelor buttons. I like the touch of purple at the base.

    ReplyDelete