Spring Lettuce

Friday, April 5, 2013

We have been eating our own lettuce in salads since the end of March.  I have them planted in crates so I could use potting soil and hopefully avoid any bitterness from our alkaline soil.

This crate I planted on March 17th and kept it in the greenhouse at nights.  I cheated and used starts from Columbia Grain and Feed instead of starting from seed.  It has been harvested from several times, but is still going strong.

 This crate has another pony pack of starts I bought several weeks later and I transplanted in some that I started from seed.

These are my little baby lettuces from seed.  It is a loose leaf variety called Salad Bowl.


5 comments

  1. I love your salad crates. I grew Salad Bowl last year. It was very tasty, but I got really tired of washing it about mid-season, due to its fancy shape making lots of hiding places for cabbage loopers. Have you grown it before, to have any tricks to it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mmmm... nope this is the first year I have grown Salad Bowl. To wash my lettuce I usually fill the sink or a large bowl with water and swish it around for awhile then give it a quick rinse and put it in the salad spinner.

      Delete
  2. What a practical and stylish idea! They look so tasty. Up here in zone 5-ish I just stuck some lettuce outside in the ground...it's nice to see photos of some much bigger, happier plants!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I will admit to cheating a bit by purchasing some nursery grown starts, but it has been really nice to just walk outside and pick a salad.

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

GO TO TOP