My Dream Garden

Saturday, April 6, 2013

Number one on my dream garden list is an irrigation system with drip nozzles and an automatic timer to run it all.  I know it doesn't sound beautiful or exciting but it would be so nice.  Making sure everything, especially the veggie garden has water in our arid climate is a full time job.  I also have to be very careful not to over water because of the clay soil.  A well designed irrigation system that would give everything just enough water automatically would save so much time and water.  I am hoping that we can make some progress on this soon.

Blue Velvet Honeyberry
The next dream for my garden is to have lush groves of all types of berries---not just the common ones like strawberries and raspberries, but also honeyberries and hardy kiwis.  I want a sturdy and beautiful trellis system for the plants that needed support and some type of frame for netting to keep the birds out.  So far I have some strawberries, raspberries, serviceberries and one female kiwi that needs a pollinator.  I gave up the blueberries as more work than I was willing to tackle with my alkaline soil.

Brilliant Canvas
source
I wish this was a picture of my yard.  I would love to tear out all the lawn in our side yard and have a wide stone pathway and vibrant plants that provide all season interest instead.  I would really like to add some conifers maples to our landscape this fall.  We have a huge number of trees, but they are almost all locust trees and not very healthy ones at that.

design by Piet Oudolf
source
 Another dream that I am working on is adding a large sweeping border of perennials in the Piet Oudolf style around the vegetable garden.  This border will be filled with perennials and self seeding annuals that are especially attractive to bees and other pollinators---salvias, alliums, coneflowers, hyssop, bee balm and more.  Insects have always been fascinating to me and the rush of joy at seeing butterflies and hummingbirds fluttering all around my garden will never get old.  I am going to try and grow as many of the plants as I can from seed to make it more affordable so there won't be any real progress until fall.

And those are the current elements of my dream garden, but I am always finding new things to dream about so this list could be totally different by fall---between gardening books and pinterest I will never run out of new inspiration.

 This post is written in response to the writing prompt found here by You Grow Girl as part of the Grow Write Guild.

  







14 comments

  1. Such lovely photos to illustrate your dream garden. I've been thinking about honey berry, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I will be sure to share if I ever get one.

      Delete
  2. Does a honey berry taste like honey?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no idea, it would be a bummer if they were yucky after all that work...

      Delete
  3. I too would love to have berries, but are worried that the raccoons will make a feast of them...and watering my tiny back yard probably won't require an irrigation system, but I would love to have a robot that would clear up the trash that blows in over the fence! My response to this prompt is here: http://whenitsathome.wordpress.com/2013/04/02/the-garden-in-my-mind/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that netting is the only way to go if you want a good harvest. Racoons might be smarter than birds, tho and figure out a way in.

      Delete
  4. Automated irrigation would be a little piece of heaven. We'd love a life more self-sustainable, and making it as easy as possible is certainly essential to making this dream a reality!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Evangelene, I had to chuckle when I read your post. Irrigation is very practical, but without a good system, our dream gardens would soon become a lot of work. I liked your photos, they all had me adding things to my list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I found all my photos on pinterest. You can find me here:http://pinterest.com/ekmahler/

      Delete
  6. Beautiful! I know what you mean about never running out of inspiration, I'm right there with you. It's not the inspiration we're lacking, it's the time and resources - am I right. ;-) Hope you will achieve some of your dreams soon!

    Here is my dream garden... My Dream Garden

    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  7. So, which one of those dream inspiration garden resemble your real garden? I think that’s where you can start figuring out how you could turn your yard into the garden of your dreams. Anyway, it looks like you're on your way to building it, and the berries are a good start. Good luck with your gardening plans, Evangeline!

    Darrell Gardner @ Living Colour Gardens

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have a wonderful garden, Evangeline! But I must say, it will need a proper irrigation system, because the area is somewhat uneven. Anyway, what are your other plans for it? Keep us updated!

    Terry Holt @ LandTech Landscaping

    ReplyDelete

GO TO TOP