Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Grow Write Guild: Garden Observations in April 2013

When I look out at my garden this time of year I rarely see it as it is, rather I see what I want to make it into.  This is the view of my veggie garden from the house.  The new greenhouse makes a nice focal point with its artistic woodwork.  Just left of the greenhouse the rhubarb is up and the white rock cress is blooming.  To the far right the raspberries are leafing out. All that bare dirt out there is my nicely tilled veggie gardening area.  The peas and potatoes are already planted to the right of the greenhouse, but they can't really be seen from this far away.  The orange flags mark where I measured for the tomato fences.  By July this will be a jungle.


This is my berry patch behind the garage.  Everything in this area has just been planted this spring after we removed a large tree.  Currently there are seven service berries bushes that I rescued from my dad's lawn.  Between the bushes I transplanted strawberries and some bee balm.  We may devise some sort of netting hanging off the garage to keep the birds from eating all the berries.

The path is made of concrete pavers that were here on the property.  I transplanted some creeping thyme and some lemon thyme into the spaces beside the pavers.  My lettuce crates are lined up along the path currently for ease of harvesting.  So that is a peek of what things look like now, I am excited to see all the changes that the growing season will bring this year.

This post is written in response to the writing prompt found here by You Grow Girl as part of the Grow Write Guild.

7 comments:

  1. I look forward to seeing the jungle in July. Your garden is very pretty even in it's preview here. Sounds like you've already done some work. I'm just starting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I had a little greenhouse! The views of your garden are making me ... wistful. I love my manageable little yard, but sometimes I wish I had room for a potting shed and a "berry patch"...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I must say sometimes I am a bit wistful for a "garden with edges" then I would be able to be done instead of claiming just a few more square feet...

      Delete
  3. I love your greenhouse, it's so beautiful!! Isn't is funny how the vegetable garden will be a jungle in a few short months. It's amazing.

    Here's my response to writing prompt #3... My Gardens Right Now

    Amy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All the credit for the greenhouse goes to my uncle and his artistic design.

      Delete