book review: understanding garden design

Tuesday, February 12, 2013



Understanding Garden Design by Vanessa Gardner Nagel, APLD is one of the best I have read about garden design for amateurs like me.  The first chapter explains the why of garden design and walks you through making a scope statements.  This really helped direct my thought process to the function of the design vs. what merely looks good.  The rest of the chapters walk you through every step in the design process, covering everything from irrigation to choosing plants as the author designs a fictional garden start to finish.  I found this to be infinitely more helpful than merely looking at pictures of beautiful gardens.  I am not ready to do every step in this book right now, nor could I afford too, but making a big-picture, long-range plan will guide my bite size improvements so they build to a beautiful, functional and unified finished landscape rather than a crazy quilt of beautiful plants.  Now when I see beautiful gardens and plants I can refer back to my plan and evaluate if they fit or how I can recreate something similar while still keeping the big picture in mind.

1 comment

  1. Hi enjoyed this post because I find the same thing when reading garden books, they are usually more beautiful pictures, which we can appreciate, but are less helpful in the howto department. Let me know how it works out for you :)

    ReplyDelete

GO TO TOP